7.07.2011

Baby Names

Picking a name for your baby (who, might I add, is still inside the womb) is a really daunting task! What if she doesn't look like an Astrid? What if the hip name you picked out for her just makes her seem out of place when she joins the chess club? I am having issues.

Not to mention the fact that Tyson and I have a really hard time agreeing on baby names! I finally told him that he can't veto any more of my suggestions until he has some of his own to contribute.

"Fine, how about Cranberry?" he says to me.

"Okay. Cranberry it is." I may have sounded a little smug as I said this...

For the next few days I referred to our baby girl as Cranberry. It almost started growing on me, but then Ty vetoed it. Yeah, he vetoed his own suggestion. I just can't win. (Although looking back, I'm glad I didn't add this one to the list. I don't want to be solely responsible for the curse this would inevitably place on our daughter's head.)

The two biggest problems that rule out a lot of names are:
1. I am a teacher. Seriously, I would donate a lung or a leg before naming one of my daughters Isabella... bad experience in the classroom... I've known a lot of kids and heard horror stories about even more. Thankfully, teaching in the inner city means that a lot of the names I would veto are in the same genre as Julio and Maria.

And 2. Ty has a HUGE family. Some of the names I suggest are getting vetoed because of his relatives that I have never even heard of. Most of my adolescence I longed for a daughter named Emmalee. Too bad there is already an Emma and an Emily in Ty's family. We are doomed.

Plus, we know people. (Kids, if you are reading this in mommy's blog book- YES, mommy and daddy used to have friends!) A lot of the cute names we like are already being 'used'... This fact is getting less and less important as time goes on, however. One of my top picks right now is Amelia (so named after an adorable mini munchkin we go to church with). I also love Olivia, Ava, Paisley, and Avery which are all 'taken' by people we know. What's the general opinion about this? How socially unacceptable is 'name stealing'?

I am already more than HALFWAY through this pregnancy and can't believe how short our baby name list is.

....Help?

10 comments:

cookiemonsters said...

Although your are due before me I have to say 1 of the names you said is our name if we have a girl so I'm glad your not using it cause I wouldn't want people to think I copied you. It's been Ty's name for "his girl" for years. I own a baby name book if you want to barrow it to help you. If you pick a name I named my girl's id just think you liked it as much as me :).

cookiemonsters said...

not your are. Just your* lol the sun is getting to me!

Heather said...

Here is the thing. You are not going to live here forever, nor are the people with the same names as your kids. So who cares if you have the same name as someone else? I understand the teacher thing... when you know a kid with a bad attitude you can't use that name! Family is a little harder because you will see them forever. But I say who cares if friends' kids have the same name as yours!!! Seriously, you could end up moving to Utah suddenly like us, and it would all change anyway!!! Use what you like! STEAL AWAY!

Jen said...

Use whatever name you want! Although most of those names you listed are unique, I have heard of all of them so they aren't "top secret" and anyone who wants to name their kid that can and shouldn't be mad if you also name your kid that. (Run-on sentence)All of those names are beautiful and if your daughter shares the name of a close family member or friend, consider it a special bond. Unless it's a sibling's name that they want to use for your neice-go for it. As a Jennifer, I have survived life and you know that name has been a top 10 for decades! :)

Mama Megs said...

I'm so flattered!!! I would love it if you named her amelia!! And its true, we won't live here for forever....so go on, do it!! I can just see the baby quilt now.....with a cute A on it....in hip girl colors...:) you know you want it!!!

ducklips said...

1st, I love the name Astrid, even though I know that wasn't really on the list. 2nd, if your child is in the chess club, anything goes. No name is going to make them an outcast when they are already in the chess club. It will just add fun corkiness to her.

Use whatever name you want! Who cares if someone already used it. I used to think I was the only one whose name was Elise when I was little. Now there are 3 in my ward. It doesn't matter where you go there will almost always be someone with your name, instant friend. I love Ava, BTW, and I don't personally know another one.

Jessie said...

paul's cousin just had a paisley, and i love it too, but alas, it has been used... :) good luck.

Alyssa and Nate said...

dido to what the others have said, if you like the name, use it. btw you are very brave going camping. we spent 2 nights in a cabin in prescott and i decided i wouldn't take ellie camping until she can actually sleep in her own bed and not cry when she has to go to bed. it'll be a while! i'm afraid i'd be chasing her down the entire time and just don't have the energy for that right now.

mandy said...

i've given an open invitation to all to use my absolute fave name that i'll never be able to use... mallory! (pair that with her last name and you'll quickly see why it's not an option.) go ahead, it's there for the taking.

megan said...

As a Megan, who always had at least three other Megan's as friends I say go for whatever name you love. Of course I say this knowing full well that I named my son Whitman 6 months after another Whitman was born.

I say go with whatever name you and Ty can actually agree on!

Gold Canyon Candles and Home Accessories

Gold Canyon Candles and Home Accessories
Seriously the BEST!

Click Here for Adorable Dresses and Accessories!

Dresses from Shabby Apple